Sunday 27 April 2008

Ryan and Annie's Wedding

Attended my 3rd wedding in Cambodia since I've been here. Not saying there isn't much to do in this town but it seems that when people are pressed for something to do they resort to having a wedding (holding a BBQ doesn't really rate here).

This edition involves Ryan (fellow teacher from the States) and Annie (fellow nutter residing in Phnom Penh). Ryan arrived in Cambodia at almost the same time as myself and has been seeing Annie for most of that time.

If your not familiar with Cambodian weddings that means you have not been reading my blog (so stuff you and go and read the other entries). The morning ceremony was not attended by myself as it was at 6.00am and I never attend anything that starts 6.00am. Only attended the reception in the evening. Virath (close personal friend) was part of bridal party and had to get up at 4.00am to be made up and have hair done.

Virath (far right) and two other thirteen-year-olds made up to look older.


Cambodian weddings involves changing into various outfits during the day (sometimes upwards of 10 different changes). Below are 2 of my favorites of the groom. The first is Ryan with his grooms-men (or back up band from N'Sync, not sure which). He was meant to wear the same but refused. The second is a photo of the outfit he had to wear for the cutting of the cake (a pair of horn-rim glasses and white goatee - I give you Colonel Sanders!!!)





Annie's father (and Ryan's new father-in-law) is a policeman here and (to be frank) looks very mean. He was very happy at the wedding, but this is his 2nd daughter that has married a foreigner (see "Steve and Trea's Wedding) and I think he is getting fed up. Below is a photo taken of Annie and me (her dad is pointing a gun at me to ensure I keep my hands off her).



The father-in-law is 2nd from the left below and his boss (a one-star general) is on the far right (of photo and politics). The boss was invited as is custom and a large amount of Johnnie Walker was provided to him. Later on , while leaving the wedding, he almost run me over while driving very drunk his 4WD (along with police number plates).



Attending the wedding were Steve and Trea (Annie's sister) who I earlier wrote about. They have been married over 6 months now and the effect is starting to show on Steve. He is the first foreigner to attend a special education centre in Cambodia. He is accompanied most days by his wife/nurse.



As requested by some of the men who read this blog, here are some more random photos of women I've met while in Cambodia. (Note: The one in white is Virath, main reason for my extended stay in Khmer-land).

No comments: